I have been getting a lot of questions about my spilled paint pen holder. It takes several days so you will need to be patient but the end result is so cool I am very happy with the project. The thing I love most (besides the kick I get out of people thinking I really spilled paint on my desk) is how it is totally movable and I can put it anywhere!
You will need…
1) Press’n Seal or Cling wrap
2) Masking tape
3) Three pint size paint cans
4) A Hot Glue gun
5) Three colors of latex paint
6) Lots of small scraps of ribbon that coordinate
7) Decorative papers to create labels
8) A circle punch (I needed a 1/2″) to cut the paper label to fit around the base of the handle where it connects to the can.
1) Chose a flat clean surface (I used our spare bathroom counter top).
2) Line the counter top with press’n seal or cling wrap (I used press’n seal because it stays in one place by itself, if you use cling wrap you might want to tape the edges to the counter to keep it smooth and flat) make sure it is flat with no bubbles or creases.
3) Glue the two bottom can’s together in the front and the back,(if you are going to stack them. I used hot glue.
4) Place them in the center back of the covered counter top.
5) Paint the inside of the can so it looks like a solid color with no spots you can see through. Only paint the bottom 1/3 or so as it lays on the counter. (See Photo below)
6) Dribble and pour a little of the paint colors at a time. Make sure you do them all at this point so they can touch… mix and dry together. Also make sure it is thick. This takes days to dry so make sure it is not disturbed.
7) After you can no longer see any soft or wet spots test a side of the paint and peel it back off of the press’n seal. There still might be areas where the paint is still wet under the middle of the puddle or under the cans. Wait another day or turn the cans upside down and let it dry thoroughly.
8 ) Once dry you can decorate all the cans and glue the top can to the other two. (don’t do this before because when you have to turn the cans upside down to dry the bottoms you will have problems with the third one on top.
If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Thanks for reading and visiting my blog. Have a wonderful day.